2 Oct 2017

Light up birthday cake card



Hello! Thanks for coming over. Hope you are having a great day.

Today, I am sharing how I created this fun, interactive light up card. I bought this Chibitronics Chibi Lights LED Circuit Stickers starter kit a while ago but haven’t got round to playing with it. I had a lot of fun creating this card, reminiscing my time in a Physics laboratory when we had to create series and parallel circuit.



I wanted a simple card with the focus mainly on the cake & the light. The cake was die-cut using a free die from Cardmaking & Papercraft magazine, which I got from a local bookshop.


For the gold cake, I layered 2 pieces of die-cut together and encased them in WOW gold embossing powder after pressing it into my Versamark stamp pad. I repeated the process twice to ensure they were coated completely.

I used my piercer to punch a hole in the candle. This was where the LED light will be positioned behind. The starter kit gave clear instructions on how to assemble the lights. The first thing to do was to mark the position of the light(s) and where the recipient had to press (this would be where the battery should be positioned). Then I connected the battery to the light using the copper tape provided, making sure that the positive side of the battery lined up with the positive side of the lights and vice versa. It was important to use a continuous tape, as I learnt the hard way when I tried to put together short pieces of tape. Luckily the card was not ruined when I had to remove the tape and reconnect the circuit.
The sentiment was white heat embossed onto the card. Looking back now, I thought perhaps I should had gold heat embossed but it was too late.
To put the card together, I layered 4 layers of foam tape around the card and the battery to give sufficient spacing for the battery such that the light would lit only when the battery was pressed.

I finished the card with some Shimmer mist and embellished with some heart die cut from the cake which I coloured with Spectrum Noir for added shine.

I needed to do one with my rainbow card stock (see past Rainbow series). I layered a few layers of die card to give the cake some dimension. I had 3 candles with this card and was so happy when all 3 lights lit up.  This card was perfect for a birthday celebrant who needed a colourful cheer.


I hoped you enjoyed today’s card. And have a great week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment