8 Jan 2017

Heat embossing - 3 different designs


Hello and Welcome to my blog. I thought I would share with you one of the very first card that I made. I started cardmaking about a year ago after stumbling onto Jennifer McGuire's videos when I was searching the internet on stamping. She is so incredible and she made crafting seems so easy. You should totally check out her blog.



All the following cards used the same basic technique.  As this was actually my first time heat embossing and I did a very poor job in my first few attempts,  I had to improvised by trimming down and saved what I could.

I started by stamping the MFT Roses All Over background stamp using Versamark and clear heat embossed. Heat embossing is done by applying embossing powder onto the Versamark-stamped image and using a heat tool to heat-set the powder.

I then apply Distress Ink copiously. For some of the cards I added Perfect Pearl to add some shimmer.
For the first set of cards where most of the embossed card stock was usable, I framed the embossed panel with 2 asymmetrical white card stock that was stitched using MFT basic stitch line border die. The stitched panel is propped up using foam tape to give it dimension. I stamped the sentiment from MamaElephant Make a Wish and Clearly Besotted Stylish Flowers on vellum  with Versamark and black heat embossed with Wow Primary Ebony Super Fine.



For the second set of cards, I place the embossed panel in the middle of the card and covered  strategically areas with strips of black card which I embossed with sentiment. The sentiments were heat embossed using WoW Sparkling Snow Embossing Glitter (again I did not do a good embossing job here).



For the third set of cards, only small pieces of the embossed image were salvaged. The image was framed with stitches from MFT basic stitched border die. The sentiments were from SpellbinderPhrase I and Clearly Besotted Take Flight. Both cards were finished with some embellishement. 


I later learnt using EK SuccessPowder Tool will help with the heat embossing as it removes static, oils and inks from the paper so the embossing powder stays on the stamped image better.

This was a much longer entry than usual but there was quite a few designs here. Hopefully, you find this post useful and able to make the most out of something that went wrong. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment